Sunday, 25 May 2014

Erich Fromm (where's 'e from?) has blown my mind

I was having one of those amazing conversations yesterday - the kind where you leave and your whole body is buzzing and your imagination is alive. Incredible.

Anyway during that conversation I was introduced to Erich Fromm, and a concept from a book he wrote, called "The Art of Loving".

Fromm paints this picture of love, and the person doing the loving as an artist - cultivating the craft (or the art) of loving. From the Wiki page - "Fromm presents love as a skill that can be taught and developed. He rejects the idea of loving as something magical and mysterious that cannot be analyzed and explained..."

"Fromm observes that real love "is not a sentiment which can be easily indulged in by anyone." It is only through developing one's total personality to the capacity of loving one's neighbor with "true humility, courage, faith and discipline" that one attains the capacity to experience real love. This should be considered a rare achievement..."

Well.

My mind is sufficiently blown.

I love that.

It resonated deeply with me. Loving, an art, crafted, cultivated, nurtured, developed - and loving all people to love. To truly love.

It's less about another external person and more about the internal action of love. Somehow it takes the pressure off everything and is more accepting. More real.

I gotta get me this book.

Erich Fromm, where's 'e from? 

No comments:

Post a Comment