Friday, 21 March 2014

Hide and seek in complete darkness

When I was younger I used to go stay at my mate Jen's place in the country during school holidays. Jen and her brother Jase lived in the country in a terrific house their Dad built. Jase would sometimes have mates stay over as well and it was always loads of fun. The house was always filled with laughter, and Jen and I would get up to hilarious stuff.

There was the afternoon we spent hours turning over all the rocks, up on the road, in the hopes that we'd find one that had a crystallized underneath (not realising you could probably only find them in pretty specific spots under pretty specific conditions). And then there was the time their Dad tried to teach me to ride their dirt bike (boy that went well). One very bored day Jen and I watched "Money Trap" three times, in a row, we thought it was so funny (I saw it a few years back and for the life of me I don't understand how we laughed so hard).

Anyway one particularly glorious holiday (I think I would have been around 13 or 14, from memory) me and Karyn went to stay with Jen, and Jase had his mate James over too.

[Side note: I often abbreviate names in my stories but I can't in this one. Too many "J"'s.]

So this story is about one of the nights we decided to play hide and seek.

To make things interesting someone suggested we play in complete darkness, and that we'd play boys v girls.

Cool.

So Jen and Jase's parents went to their "end" of the house and closed off a few doors, so the light in their room wouldn't leak out. And the rest of the house we left in complete darkness.

In the country complete darkness is pretty dark. There are no streetlights to illuminate anything even slightly. After the last light went out we all waited for our eyes to adjust but I don't think any of us could see anything. I certainly couldn't. Not even my hand right in front of my face.

It sort of defeats the purpose of playing hide and seek, if you can't see anything. So the game sort of morphed into hide and scare-the-living-daylights-out-of-the-seekers.

And it was super easy finding a hiding spot. Behind a door was perfectly acceptable for the purposes of this new game.

I don't remember the whole night, but I do remember clutching Karyn's hand as we edged along the hallway trying to find the door way to Jen's bedroom. Waiting to be scared to death at any given moment. I also remember getting down low so I could reach under Jen's bed, and saying "I betcha James is under here and when I'm looking Jase'll jump out of Jen's wardrobe or something". I heard the girls laugh as I blindly reached under the bed, kind of swishing my arm around a bit.

Then Jase jumps out of the wardrobe, yelling RARRRRGH or something (completely Jase's style, he does that so well).

And you know what?

Even though I predicted it, it still scared the living daylights outta me. The girls too.

Fun times.


[Note: Thanks for the fond memories everyone. I miss those times. And Jen and Jase, I think of your Dad often. He was a one of a kind.]

No comments:

Post a Comment